First off, what is a flange? Well, it's the piece of the pump that goes around your breast. Here's what you need to know about fit.
Properly fitted flanges:
- Allow your nipple to move in and out freely without touching or rubbing along the sides
- Draw in only your nipple and a small portion of your areola
Improperly fitted flanges:
- Block milk ducts reducing the amount you can express and potentially leading to clogged ducts
- Cause pain or injury to your nipples
If you're flange is too small, you'll notice:
- Your nipples touching or rubbing along the sides of the tunnel
- A feeling of pinching or soreness in the nipple when pumping
- Your breasts don’t feel empty after pumping, or it take a long time for them to feel empty
- Your nipple will be misshaped when you finish pumping
If your flange is too large, you'll notice:
- A large portion of your areola is pulled into the tunnel
What else should I know?
- Our pumps come with two flange sizes and our best advice is to try both sizes and see which one fits your the best and is most comfortable.
- Soft, flexible silicone rims on Lansinoh flanges feel more comfortable against the breast without needing to use a flange insert
- Use with a Simple Wishes Pumping Bra to have a hands-free pumping session while maintaining suction